The FTC is requiring bloggers to disclose any freebies or compensation recieved for products reviewed. I’ve never been paid or gotten any freebies for blogging, but in the interest of full disclosure, there are some things I’ve gotten from the gaming industry over the years:
- Steve Jackson Games sent me a check for $5 and some contributor copies for submissions to Autoduel Quarterly (a magazine for their game Car Wars).
- Ultima Online provided me with a free account for a time because I volunteered for their Troubador program, essentially acting as a live “NPC” for events.
- Star Wars Galaxies sent me free software to participate in closed beta (and I apologize that we didn’t do more beta testing on that one, but it wasn’t our call).
- EA/Maxis hired me on contract and gave me a free account to be a moderator for The Sims Online message boards, until the ‘official’ boards were offloaded to Stratics.
- Two of my Second Life avatars receive L$50 a week because they’re ‘grandfathered’ under the old stipend program.
If I think of any others, I’ll post them here. And if anybody wants to give me more freebies, I shall duly disclose them. I might even get around to reviewing them, who knows?